Friday, March 29, 2013

The Night I Ate a Scorpion

The Beijinger is now my best friend. I get updated on all the cool things happening in Beijing from cooking class to art exhibits. But what really struck my interest were the Jazz lounges. A lounge called Temple was having a latin jazz/bossa nova night and it was free to attend. Even though it was a little out of the way, I was really looking forward to going with my roommate and our friends. In this town (forgot the name), there were many small shops with traditional Chinese clothes, dresses, toys, and anything else you can think of. When I say anything, I even mean the “strange” things. On the side of the street, we went to a street food vendor selling fried scorpion, locus, and silkworm. I told myself before leaving that I would NOT eat a scorpion. Well~~



It was actually pretty good after the fact. My other friends had silkworm and I just had to refuse. Gathering up the courage to eat a scorpions  was thrilling and exciting, however, I needed to get the salty taste out of my mouth! To Temple we go!

The latin jazz band surprised me and my other Chinese friends who have never heard of the genre before. It was a little rocky at first with technical difficulties, but the performance turned out well. My roommate and I even got out of our chairs to dance for a while! Overall, it was an exciting night and next time I’ll bring more friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment