Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Nightlife for Three Weekends in a Row: My Experience


The first three weekends of my trip were spent enjoying the nightlife of Beijing: drinking (safely), going dancing, meeting new people, and living it up. However, after adapting to the city, I limited myself dramatically. No regrets. To be honest it just got really old after partying for three weekends in a row. 

Over by the university area, there is a region of Beijing called Wudaouko (Home to the Foreigners). There are numerous bars and three main clubs: Global, Club Wu, and Propaganda. 

So MANY Americans! I’d rather be around natives than Americans in a nightlife setting any time. Yes, I do run into some cool ones from time to time, but 80% I encounter the ones who are incredibly embarrassing and create a bad image for foreigners. Plus, I came to China to immerse myself, so I get frustrated sometimes. However, I get over it and don’t let it spoil my night.

After being tired of Wudaouko, my friends decided to have a fun girls night out in a further part of the city. I looked up a really popular club called Mix and its the only hip-hop music playing club in the city (as far as I know). So that day I went to the mall with my girls to buy a new dress and get our nails done. We were dolled up and ready

The cab dropped us off at one of the most luxurious clubs I’ve ever been to. So I thought, there’s no way this club is free even though a friend told us it was. However since all my girls were dressed to impress (ourselves!), we all got in for free. The drinks were expensive and the beer I ordered was expired! We were so disappointed by the prices, but we decided to stay. A couple of minutes later, a man came up to my friend and brought us all to VIP. The music was right, we all had great company with some Chinese people, and it was an amazing time. I even practiced my Chinese!

Great club, luxurious atmosphere, fun company, bumpin music, and awesome shooters. Now that was an amazing night!

Note: Beijing is a relatively safe place to drink because the alcohol is extremely watered down. I call that a plus!

Bottom-line, Beijing nightlife can be adventurous, thrilling, and even disappointing at times. However, unforgettable memories are made every time and that’s what makes my study abroad experience wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment