Monday, March 11, 2013

R.I.P. Robert Edwards aka Grandaddy

Robert Edwards 1919-2013
Husband, Father, Grandfather
Last night I received bad news from mom that my grandaddy had passed away. What does it feel like losing a loved-one while abroad? It feels completely unexplainable.

When I told grandaddy that I was leaving for China, he was incredibly proud and not even surprised because he always knew I would embark on adventures. He was not well for a while and I knew deep down in my heart that if I left, it would be the last time I would see him. I feel like we both knew. But he still encouraged me.

As I grieving video chatted with my family on Skype last night, I felt their hugs and love oceans away. It's extremely hard right now being away from my family because all I desire is to be with them. Once I find a Christian church in China, it will be easier. I know that my granddad wants me to be strong for him and my family.

I always remember the good times with my grandaddy from my childhood to recent...

  • Going to church with him
  • Curling up and watching cartoons while mom and dad were at work
  • Taking me and my sisters to get Happy Meals at McDonald's
  • Laughing and making fun of the ridiculous court shows he would make us watch with him
  • Listening to his funny reactions when something inappropriate was on TV
  • Receiving his birthday and Christmas gifts (He always got what we wanted without even asking)
  • Helping us out of bad situations from money to relationships
  • Telling me "I love you so much" and "God bless you sweetheart" each and every time we talked or saw each other.
He lives on through me, my family, and anyone else who has touched their heart. Actually, when I Skyped my family, I talked to my nephews. Even though they are too young to understand what happened, their faces were so bright and they sent off this powerful energy of happiness. I have never felt something so powerful. This is how I know grandaddy has not left us because he showed his presence through them.

Each and every day on this Earth is a blessing from God and He blessed my grandaddy with 92 years. I feel unexplainably blessed to have such a loving and caring grandfather. I know that we will meet in God's kingdom one day. 

I love you Grandaddy. Tell grandmama hi for me. We will see each other again.

Love,
Your granddaughter Lateefah

No comments:

Post a Comment