Thursday, March 7, 2013

Feeling Like a Teacher’s Pet


In China, I’m the most studious I’ve ever been in my entire life. It’s not a bad thing, but the classroom environment is completely unfamiliar even though my courses are taught as UCD classes. 

The Chinese students in my class are use to being lectured at and expected to just go home and study. But in an American-styled classroom environment, there is an expectation to participate in class to get a good grade. Since this style is unfamiliar to most of the younger Chinese students, most sit in silence when the teachers ask a question. I can hear crickets chirping every time. So I always feel obligated to raise my hand and break the ice. That means keeping up on each reading, doing every assignment, taking notes, etc. I’ve build a good relationship with my professors because of my high participation, but I feel like I’m taking the opportunity away from my other fellow classmates. Also, I feel bad for the professor who has to constantly drag participation out of the other students.

Raising my hand all the time, answering questions, constantly commenting, and building relationships with my teachers makes me feel like I’m a teachers pet. This is only because I feel that my Chinese classmates probably don’t feel they have the same opportunity because of their English (which is fine).

I’m confident that things will get better in class and hopefully I can encourage my Chinese classmates to participate more. That way I won’t feel wrong for doing something right by being a good student. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment