Monday, March 4, 2013

My First Week in China


This time last year, I never thought I would be here in Beijing. Its such amazing experience so far! My Chinese friends warned me about how cold it would be here, but I didn’t believe them because I’m a Colorado native. Nope, it’s a lot colder. 

The food is very good, but sometimes a little too strange for me. Example, a couple guys from my program tried to convince me to try a sea cucumber. I definitely am not that adventurous yet. One night I had a big dinner with the program and we ordered whatever we wanted. Lamb, Beijing duck, kung pao chicken, and many other kinds of meat which made it the best meal I’ve had here. No upset stomach yet and I hope to keep it that way!

Shopping is really cheap depending on where you go and you can bargain! I went to a mall with my roommate and bargained a nice black dress for half the original price. I was smart and packed very little clothes so I will be able to take all my clothes back to America. BUT the Chinese airlines broke a wheel on my suitcase, so I’ll need to buy a new one. I will be bargaining for that too.

Still no nightlife experience. I went to karaoke with a couple people and we all had a really great time singing! Three of us went and paid 330 rmb for 3 hours ($18 per person). After a long night of singing, we all went to the 24 hour KFC which was surprisingly deserted on a Friday night. It seemed like a regular KFC with a lot of soup choices and sandwiches with slapped on mayo (yuck!). I approve of that night and regained my love for karaoke!

Me and my awesome roommate Amy at KTV

No comments:

Post a Comment