Saturday, March 31, 2012

Korean MT Experience

Note: Always sip responsibly.

Now what is MT? Membership training for majors or clubs at Korean universities. Usually it's for the newbies to get comfortable with one another. The president describes it as a retreat for people to bond, let loose, and have fun. When I think of a retreat I picture being in the wilderness, and gathering around a campfire singing koombaya with one another. Well, that wasn't really the case.

I'm sure you've heard all about the stories, but for people who don't know what I'm talking about, let me explain. ~~~~~~ All you do is drink. Yep, I said it! You go to a secluded area with people, eat delicious food, drink, and play games.

When I asked Koreans here about MT, they won't want to tell you the honest truth or they leave things out. So who else would I ask? Foreigners! Unfortunately all they told me were horror stories~~ But I have an optimistic personality.

Now before you go pumping your fist pumping in excitement or be frightened, I am writing this to put you at ease. Let me explain~

I went to my first MT last night and had the time of my life. We all met on campus, paid a small fee, and took the bus to a remote place in Seoul. The mentors rented out a big room with a small room inside. Haha, the small room didn't have any doors. We were all in a huge room eating ramen and samgyeopsal. Then the drinking began~~ Some people got smashed quickly, but the non-koreans and people who don't drink alcohol just joked around and danced. The Koreans were the first to pass out! I mean they passed out early. The only ones awake were me and my friends. Even though it was an overnight thing, I went back with my friends early in the morning. Overall, it was a very fun time, and I developed a closer bond with people.

No need to be scared. All it comes down to is self-respect. Setting rules, standards, requirements for yourself and following them.











No comments:

Post a Comment